Friday 23 May 2014

Inspiration outdoors


Spring is the time I love the best.  It is like living in a continuous cliffhanger - whilst watching each tree, shrub and plant waiting hopefully to unfurl its leaves and flowers.  Throughout Tokyo there is mile upon mile of cherry blossom, turning even the humble narrow residential canals into colour lit, confetti dusted tunnels of fragrant beauty.  It is one of my fondest memories of living there, still vivid many years later.  And what a jumping off point for colour and texture in interiors...




Surrounding our Hampshire studio, I watched with delight as the lilac and apple blossom jostled for dominion in the orchard, their lime green leaves chaotically entwined overhead… I held my breath when the wind and rain came to tease and flatten the intoxicating blooms.  It is interesting to drive from city to country, North to South and see how the season progresses.  We are nestled in a sheltered valley and our flowering is a bit later and lasts longer generally than the village nearby.  The colours are such a welcome relief after the dingy, mucky winter we've just emerged from.  Couple that with a blue sky and the perfect palette emerges for the season.




That brings me to Bluebells - which test my driving skills...  When I am not admiring them in the wood near our house in The Vyne forest, I'm driving trying to avoid admiring them.




The wild abandon of these colours has inspired a new colourway of our Silbury Linen.  Have a peek…




I adore peonies as they were my great grandmother's favourite and they are such a blowsy and fleeting gift each Spring.  I was recently at The Manor at Upton Gray, Rosamund Wallinger's fantastic restored Gertrude Jekyll garden and was privileged to spot the first bursting blossom.




Finally here is a vignette from an interior we completed last Spring using vibrant woven silks on our hand sewn cushions to herald Spring in an Orangery.



Think Spring and enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment